Monday, May 3, 2010

Service Learning 10

Johana P. Martinez
Nina Perez
4/28/10
Introduction to Women's Studies




Activism: We finally presented our class we the project, we all feel like we did a good job on it and we think it went well when we presented it.

Reflection: This project impacted me in many ways, first of all when we talked about the second half of Gaia Girl: Way of Water, how Miho the main character finally realized what she was fighting for and what she needed to protect. Even though she had to learned the hard way, i feel like that is how it was for myself. I did take this project seriously but i feel like it hit me at home when my parents found out what i was doing and confronted me about my sexual orientation, i felt like i couldn't hide it anymore so i finally had the courage to do it and i did, and even though my parents were more than furious and reacted in a way that i never thought they would. I don't regret ever telling them, it just made me a little more courageous with dealing with this and hopefully one day my parents will come around and accept me how i am.

Reciprocity: After doing this project im so excited to work on other projects and to keep helping out the gay community, I'm so confident with myself and am able to express myself in ways that i never thought i could. I learned how to table and put together petitions together and overall i learned to fight for peoples rights no matter how hostile other people can get when they are against a cause, it just makes me fight even harder for them.

Work cited:
Welles, Lee. Gaia Girls: Way of Water. New York: Chelsea Green Publishing, 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment